Please review and correct the information below.

Search results showing for '' in the Information and advice section

Support Services for Adults

Return to Information & Advice

Where can I find information & advice in support of my own health and care needs

Self Care is about looking after yourself, living a healthy lifestyle and looking at what you can do and want to do, rather than what you can’t do.
It is also about taking responsibility for your own health and wellbeing with the support of the people involved in your care. This could be brushing your teeth regularly, taking medicine when you have a cold, or doing some exercise. It is really important to help to keep yourself as well as possible.
For further information visit our Self Care page.

Where do I find information on what Bradford Adult Social Care can offer?

You can find information on our services on the Council’s website under Adult Social Care.
If you want to contact our Adult Services Access Point, you can do this online via the Referral Form.

How do I raise concern about adult abuse?

Abuse is when someone does or says things to another person to hurt, upset or make them frightened. Adult abuse is wrong and can happen to anyone who is over 18 years of age. Abuse can happen anywhere and can be committed by anyone.
If someone is at immediate risk, call 999.
You can find out more here or report a concern here.

How can I find someone to support me with daily tasks?

You can recruit a Personal Assistant (PA) to support you with many things, including help around your home, shopping, personal care and getting out and about.  There are a number of people who are advertising their PA services on our Personal Assistant Register.

How can I get help to organise support from family and friends?

Rally Round is a FREE online service which allows friends, family, neighbours and care staff to work together more easily when looking after a loved one or service user.
Rally Round allows a network to be created around a person with care needs. Anything that the person needs help with can be listed as a task. Then, trusted friends, family members, neighbours or staff involved in their care can see this, discuss it, agree to take the task on and let everyone know when it has been done.
For further information visit our website

 I am a carer for someone, where can I find information and advice?

There are links to support and guidance here.

Where can I find information about residential care?

What are residential care homes?
Residential care homes provide the type of care a caring relative could give. This can include help with washing, dressing, feeding and help with day to day activities.

What are nursing homes?
Nursing homes cater for those who have general care needs and also require input or supervision from qualified nurses. This can include those with specific or complex health needs.

Who are residential and nursing homes for?
People who require 24 hour residential or nursing care in a care home. Most people who live in residential and nursing homes are over 65.
For further information about Care Homes across the district, visit our Care Homes pages.

For information about the financial side, visit Paying for Residential Care for more details 

Where can I find out about groups and activities going on across the district?

Connect to Support has specific pages dedicated to support you to find what is available to you.

What is Advocacy?

Advocacy ensures people are able to:

  • Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them.
  • Defend and safeguard their rights.
  • Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.

Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:

  • Express their views and concerns.
  • Access information and services.
  • Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities.
  • Explore choices and options

What advocacy services are available?

The information below covers a range of advocacy services which are offered in the Bradford district. Advocacy services are provided by a number of independent organisations.



VoiceAbility Bradford supports adults who may have mental health issues, learning
disabilities, dementia, acquired brain injury or other disability. They also work in some cases with children and with family carers.

VoiceAbility advocates support people to speak up for themselves and can also speak up for people’s views on their behalf if they are unable to do this for themselves.

VoiceAbility Bradford offers the following kinds of advocacy:

  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) including Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and Paid Representatives
  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
  • Care Act Advocacy including Care Act Advocacy in Prisons

Telephone: 01274 888 017

Facebook: /VoiceAbilityBradford

Twitter: @VA_Bradford



Vital provides the NHS Complaints Advocacy Service for Bradford and District -

For further information on BAMHAG and our exciting service plans for the future please follow us on;

Twitter: @vitalprojects18


Telephone: 01274 770118


Self and Group Advocacy

Equality Together, Bradford People First and People First Keighley and Craven working together provide dedicated Self Advocacy across the Bradford Metropolitan District.

‘Self Advocacy’ is about taking control of decisions about yourself and telling others what you want.


Equality Together

Telephone: 01274 594173


Bradford People First

Bradford People First is a self-advocacy group run by and for people with learning disabilities within the Bradford District. This service is aimed at people over 18 with learning disabilities.

Telephone: 01274 744151


People First Keighley and Craven

People First Keighley and Craven are a self-advocacy group that strives to represent, consult, communicate and advocate not only for our organisation and the members in it but also for people with disabilities wherever we go and in the work we do.

Telephone: 01535 607222